[OSM-talk] can search engines index osm data?

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 11:33:24 BST 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>wrote:

> i.e. everything with a name (or other identifier like ref), which is all
> the useful ones. (Of course we already have URLs by number for every
> node, way and relation in the system, though those aren't usually
> exposed to search engines, and they include vast duplication, e.g. for
> streets with the same name split into multiple ways. They are useful for
> data scrutiny but not really for search engines).

I don't know what you are planning, but this is what I have in mind :

Create a web page (html) for every city and town. Generate a header with
info like the country it's in. Find all the suburbs and hamlets that are
nearest to it and create a link for each one.

Create a web page for every suburb, village and hamlet. Create a link to the
nearest city or town in bold (if there are multiple cities at the same
distance, create multiple links. Find all the streets that are closest to
this suburb and create links for each one. The same goes for amenities.

I think Google will index such pages. They already index a lot of garbage,
like web proxy access logs, spreadsheets with address lists etc.