[OSM-talk] Introductions, and Icons?:

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Aug 9 00:09:43 BST 2009

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Roeland Douma wrote:

> If you want to buy a GPS you might want to go with a Garmin since then you
> can use OSM maps, which is awesome. However there are people here that know
> a lot more about GPSes, which to buy, which to avoid. Also by searching on
> the wiki you can find a lot of stuff.

while the Garmin ones can use OSM maps, the chips they are still using is not
the newest and best
so it is harder to get a fix
My newest logger can actually get a fix inside my house, which was constructed
with a near complete Faraday cage design, although a fix takes much longer
than the 30 secs it needs outside.
Yesterday I stuck it to the top of my point-and-shoot camera
as that is my favourite recording item.

the other benefit over the Garmin with too many buttons is that after it
looses a fix no user input is required to restart logging

using i-887 from Transcend i-blue series, sold as photoMate.
it's not on the wiki yet, the wiki crashed the night I was going to add it