[OSM-talk] to all potlatch and JOSM users - automatic simplification of geometry

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 13:43:04 BST 2009

2009/8/9 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:

> As I've said several times to Martin, once I have a spare minute I'll
> add some sort of confirmation dialogue if you try to straighten a
> street with more than n metres divergence. But for now, I'm off on
> holiday.

Actually those confirmation dialogues are a bit annoying (if I imagine
someone cleaning big aeras of TIGER-data), but what about a keyboard
shortcut (preferably with modifier like "shift" or "ctrl") instead of
an Icon? For mappers aware of what they are doing it's completely OK
to use this functions in a responsible manner. Actually I wasn't aware
myself that it just straightens (thought it would simplify, blame on
me). Maybe there could be added the word "straighten" to the function
name "tidy points" in some way.

In my area (and probably not only here) there's lots of registrees
that actually haven't performed a single edit, and other's that think
potlatch is an online painting programm (drawing motorways wildly
across the city-center) when you write to them, they apologize and say
they didn't know they were actually modifying the public database, so
my concern is more about people incidently harming data, not about
"real vandalism".

anyway: have a nice holiday!

cheers,
Martin