[OSM-talk] Introductions, and Icons?:

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 13:46:14 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Richard Fairhurst<richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Austin Martin wrote:
>> Also, does OSM need a collective icon set, because by looking at
>> this: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features. It seems
>> like just a random mishmash of icons, but maybe I'm wrong on this.

There are various icon sets.  I'd suggest you have a further look at
what is available, if only for inspiration:

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/share/map-icons/
http://www.sjjb.co.uk/mapicons/SJJBMapIconsv0.03/recoloured/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Icon

There is also an icons set used by Potlatch and cloudmade which I
believe has an svg base (although I've only ever seen png renderings -
does anyone have a link to a source?)

If you want to create a nice consistent set of icons I'm sure it would
be welcome but as Richard said it is up to each developer to decide
what they want to use for their application.

--
 Brian