[OSM-talk] GPS Accuracy under Forest Canopy

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Mon Aug 10 13:15:37 BST 2009

>> You might be able to use sat overlays to estimate the true path.
> won't be more precise though (if you really mean sat and not aerial
> photo). In the end you would be tracing from aerial and use the track
> just as an "reminder".

  For this case, I checked with the Yahoo imagery, and the canopy totally
obscures the trail.

>> It really depends what options you have available and how much time,
>> money, effort etc you are willing to spend on it.
> Yes, if you have some time it will be an option to wait for the leaves
> falling in autumn (seriously).

  That's good to know - for most trails in this areas, the canopy consists
of leaves that will fall.   I wasn't sure if that would improve things.

   Otherwise it'd be a shame not to be able to map the trails - the only
trail maps currently are on "paid trail sites" or paper maps posted on
information signboards.

 Thanks,

  Mike