[OSM-talk] GPS Accuracy under Forest Canopy

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 16:31:09 BST 2009

>    My Garmin eTrex HCx makes reasonable tracks under forest cover,
> although the tracks are certainly worse under forest than under a
> clear
> sky.  It's not the cheapest GPS unit you can get,  but it's reasonably
> priced and it's a great navigator to enjoy both OSM and commercial
> maps
> on foot or sitting in the passenger seat of a car.  The ability to see
> my own track has gotten me "unlost" more than once;  it seems that
> once
> I've gotten into GPS mapping I've been more aggressive about going
> into
> unfamilliar and confusing terrain,  so I've been getting lost more!

compared to a SiRF III powered the eTrex is pretty lame in accuracy.
but it uses less power and runs twice as long on a set of batteries

>    I think of track accuracy from a practical viewpoint.  Having a
> trail off by 20 meters isn't so important so long as I get the
> topology
> right.

+1, and only the rich guys with expensive tools will ever figure out
how bad your track was.

>  I walked a segment of trail that followed a creek and always stayed
> by
> one side:  when I looked at the tracks overlaid with Garmin's Topo
> 2008,  I saw the track crossing the creek.  I was often within 10
> meters
> of the creek,  so this isn't 'crazy'  If I'm loading this into OSM and
> if the creek is there,  I certainly feel pressured to manually push
> the
> trail across the creek so that the trail doesn't show false creek
> crossings:  that's an error that people when they're using the map and
> could even cause confusion.

this is very important. consistency and relative positions wins over
accuracy of a single point.
traditional maps are always consistent but rarely accuract.