[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 11 05:39:24 BST 2009

--- On Tue, 11/8/09, Alex L. Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> If you have a proposal for a better
> system (and I'm
> pretty sure that doesn't include any kind of wiki masters
> who get to
> decide what's useful and what's not), I'm sure we'd be
> happy to hear it.

I'm in agreement with Tom's suggestion of a working group, however they should have the ability to make decisions they come to stick, true democracies fail from everyone having their own agendas.

I don't think anything should be voted on in person at a SOTM, this discriminates against those that can't be there. I also don't think a prerequisite of OSMF membership to be on a working group as this also discriminates against those that can't afford the membership fee.

Outline the responsibilities and such of the working group, ask for people to nominate themselves, have a limited number of positions on the working group and they act to filter all future proposals, anything that seems reasonable should be discussed, properly worked out.

Once there is a formal proposal it should be put out for a comment period in which anyone can discuss their thoughts on the matter, and from this either the proposal is refined or moves to become official.