[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Aug 11 12:27:21 BST 2009

Tobias Knerr wrote:
> Tom Hughes wrote:
>> That's a completely ridiculous quorum when we have 10000 active mappers.
>> If the process says that eight people can get together and tell
>> thousands of people that they've been "doing it wrong" for the last five
>> years and should start retagging everything according to some new scheme
>> then the process is broken.
>
> Those eight people can only do this if not even 0.1% of the other 10000
> care enough to oppose the proposal. If that's the case, then apparently
> the proposal isn't so bad, is it? Why didn't all those people who
> apparently hate "path" vote against it?

(a) because not everyone has the luxury of following all this with the
hundreds of emails a day and all.

(b) because many people just ignore the voting system as it has no
official status, and do their own thing. The map renderers generally
have more influence on what tags are used IMO than any amount of voting.

David