[OSM-talk] A process for rethinking map features

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Tue Aug 11 13:35:52 BST 2009

On 11/08/2009, at 12:49 AM, Tom Chance wrote:
> - If the proposal throws into question existing, accepted tags,
> defer the
> proposal to small working groups

This sounds good, but deciding the makeup of a working group is likely
to be an issue. If you allow anyone to join, then your working group
won't be small. If you limit the membership, then you're going to have
a fun time making up the rules for such decisions and how to deal with
the (possibly large) group of annoyed people who don't get to be in
the working group.

A working group is pretty much going to need a very diverse set of
members otherwise you'll get into situations where how things work in
country X isn't taken into account, and people in country Y mis-
interpret what the resulting tag means. There is also likely to be
some discussion in the community before a vote, which I think would
end up just being the same as the current arguments here.

> - At SOTM present and discuss their proposals and vote

As others have mentioned this is bad because it penalises those who
can't go to SotM. IRC meetings could work, but as soon as you get more
than a certain number of people involved they need to be moderated,
and then tend to go on for a *long* time.