[OSM-talk] A process for rethinking map features

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Tue Aug 11 18:13:13 BST 2009

Hi!

Tobias Knerr schrieb:
> Tom Chance wrote:
>> - Tags are proposed on the wiki, no change to current practice
>> - If the proposal throws into question existing, accepted tags, defer the
>> proposal to small working groups
>> - These working groups study the wider questions and formulate a complete
>> proposal for new tags, deprecation, etc.
>
> People can do this already, and I'm sure that a good proposal created by
> a working group would easily be accepted in a wiki vote.

The problem is that a wiki vote is not considered valid by many people.
Due to the few numbers participating and voting compared to the vast
number of mappers, the process is ridiculed by many. Which is
unfortunate, because I think that the process of working out a proposal,
publishing and discussing it is pretty good. The problem is just that
there is no binding result.

If you form a working group which is open to all interested people and
this group trys to establish a compatible and working tagging scheme in
a public wiki documentation, taking into account all problems, use cases
and arguments that users may throw at them, the result of this work
should be considered final once no more killer arguments are coming in.

>> - If proposals are accepted, a combination of carrot (rendering
>> stylesheets, Potlatch presets, etc.) and sticks (error checking,
>> auto-correcting bots) to implement the accepted proposals
>
> On the one hand, you still cannot force software/stylesheet developers
> to use your proposal. On the other hand, we could try the same thing
> right now. The path proposal could have been successful long ago if
> applications were pushing it instead of refusing to use it (see CycleMap).

You cannot force anything but you can discourage putting presets for
disputed tags in editors (if it is frowned upon as some sort of indirect
vandalism and rolled back) and you can make an organised effort to bring
a newly established tagging scheme into all major editors and renderers
in a consistent way. Right now, it is purely chaotic.

bye
	Nop