[OSM-talk] OSM-Postal an idea to extend Walking-Papers to "not connected" people

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Aug 12 00:26:15 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:04 PM, PB<pb at osgeo.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm PB from Cuba, and I would like to share an idea to extend the use
> of Walking-Papers. The intention is to reach all those people whom do
> not have an e-mail or Internet access, and in many cases not even a
> computer.
> We are proposing use the postal mail to send printed maps
> (Walking-Papers or printed screen captures from OSM) and gather them
> (marked) using the same way.

The Walking Papers people have already offered to send and accept maps
by postal mail.  See Mike Migurski's blog here:

http://mike.teczno.com/notes/2009/

[quoting in part]
Each print and scan action is also backed by a (possibly optimistic)
promise to snail-mail printed maps to users, and to accept
snail-mailed annotated maps in return. If you want to play
neogeography pen-pal or simply don't have a scanner at your disposal,
Walking Papers can help.
[ end quote from Mike's blog ]

If I remember correctly, at SotM2009 Mike said that so far nobody has
asked for the postal mail service.

Now, a political question.  Is there postal service between USA and
Cuba?  Perhaps an off-shore version of Walking Papers is required?

Best regards,
Richard