[OSM-talk] A process for rethinking map features

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 12 13:56:06 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>wrote:

> > The path proposal could have been successful long ago if
> > applications were pushing it instead of refusing to use it (see
> CycleMap).
> >

> It's on the todo list.
> It screws up the stylesheets in horrible ways due to the hundreds of
> tag combinations that end up meaning "cycle path" as far as the cycle
> map is concerned, so we're investigating more sane ways to handle it.
>

> Dave

I tend to think that "form a committee" comes down to "watch the wiki page"
- ie not substantially different to current practice. Committees are just an
efficient way to make progress on part of a problem. The key thing is making
sure the other parts of the problem don't get ignored. At least an open wiki
process is open.

I've picked up Dave's point above, because it's clear that part of the
"real" problem is that adhoc committees sometimes don't take account of the
implications for particular data users (and stylesheets may be the most
complicated data user). In this case "let's trash footway/cycleway" becomes
a major problem of deciphering tag-combinations. Maybe we need some "meta
rules" for the process, that recognises the scale of problems that could be
created for data users, and proceeds judiciously.

Richard