[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Thu Aug 13 08:47:30 BST 2009

On 12/08/2009, at 12.14, Pieren wrote:

> It seems that the word "designated" has different interpretations and
> that's a point to clarify on the wiki. For me, "designated" means
> "with road sign".
> Note that in France, pedestrians are not allowed on cycleways. I don't
> see why we should add "foot=no" now in all cycleways in France. I read
> somewhere that some motorways  in US gives access to bicycles. Does it
> mean that we have to add "bicycle=no" to all other motorways in the
> world ?

This is the kind of confusion/contradiction that happens when people
start encoding traffic rules & regulations into map tagging.
Traditionally, a road map will tell you how to get from A to B, and
the size of the road, not what traffic rules apply to the various road
segments.

I think it is time to separate tagging of traffic laws into a separate
namespace from purely geographical map features. The information is
useful, but the current concept of OSM tagging is not designed to deal
with it in a systematic manner.

Cheers,
Morten