[OSM-talk] Country-specific defaults/values

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Aug 13 13:43:38 BST 2009

Richard Mann wrote:
> Neither is acceptable. How long do you want style-sheets to get?

A list of values mapped to a certain style doesn't strike me as
particularly complicated to implement. Especially as these lists can be
compiled with the help of national communities. I assume if you set up a
wiki page with those lists to be filled out by people who know their
national tags, it will be ready in no time.

We are a community project here, you don't need to do everything yourself.

> Plus - what languages are all these tags going to be documented in?

English + local language? Should be enough.

Add to this a machine-readable template which could list, for example,
default access rights, and you can feed that knowledge directly into
software.

> Somehow we need to get to a common-enough definition that we can all live
> with. Which is not to underestimate the scale of the task!

It's just that we have failed to create that definition so far. The task
would become rather easy if we didn't have to deal with differing
legislations at all.

Tobias Knerr