[OSM-talk] Announcemen: Multilingual Country-List

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Thu Aug 13 19:22:14 BST 2009

andrzej zaborowski schrieb:
> 2009/8/13 Lauris Bukšis-Haberkorns <lafriks at gmail.com>:
>> To me it seems standard MIT license. Maybe someone could contact them
>> about country name data import into OSM and ask special permision?
>
> There are probably more complete sources like the wikipedia page
> titles which the toolserver page even recommends be consulted.

 > Note
> that country names are just a tiny piece of what you could call
> "multilingual map", plenty of other features have different names in
> different languages
Missing translated country names were the first thing I saw when I
looked at the translated map-renderings, so this was my starting-point
to see how translating map-data could be done.

If you got some ideas on what will need translation and how it could be
accessed, i'll welcome your input and i'll try to build another tool
from it where not only countries may be translated.

 > and wikipedia has a lot of these already.
> Especially the pages containing infoboxes are easy to parse and have
> structured information. (Not saying they should be used but if you're
> going to make an import, you'd be writing lots of scripts for little
> data)

I'm really unse if bulk-imports would be such a good idea. For me the
peer-review process as i tried to implement it is a much better approach.

Peter