[OSM-talk] Country-specific defaults/values (was: Re: Proliferation of path vs. footway)

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Aug 14 08:41:02 BST 2009

Roy Wallace <waldo000000 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:10 PM, Tobias Knerr<osm <at> tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> > David Earl wrote:
> >
> > If "cycleway" does mean something different in Germany than it means in
> > UK, why do we try to use the same tag/value in the first place? Why
> > don't we use, e.g., "Radweg" for Germany? (Or differentiate with
> > prefixes or something like that where different nations use the same
> > language?)
>
> "Differentiate with prefixes"? Messy... If "cycleway" means "A" in
> Germany and "B" somewhere else, then cycleway is not a good tag.
> Instead, we should explicitly tag "A" where it applies and tag "B"
> where it applies.

First of all we need to get rid of all the fuzzy traffic signs broadcasted all
over the world, like this

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Py%C3%B6r%C3%A4tie_422.svg

and this

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiedosto:Yhdistetty_py%C3%B6r%C3%A4tie_ja_jalkak%C3%A4yt%C3%A4v%C3%A4_423.svg

They may attract people to believe that the road is "cycleway" or "cycleway,
walking allowed", and if they do not know in which country they are they may
behave all wrong.