[OSM-talk] Announcemen: Multilingual Country-List

"Marc Schütz" schuetzm at gmx.net
Sat Aug 15 10:50:30 BST 2009

> But this implicates that if there is no different name, no name:xx-tag
> should be set (even if it's not *bad* to have one, its also not
> *necessary*). Do you agree with that, Marc?

I was replying in a hurry, and I see now that it is not as easy as I thought it to be. I agree that most objects don't have names in all languages. It would be absurd to add a, say, Inuktitut name to a small street in Budapest, thereby repeating its hungarian name in potentially several thousand languages.

Still I think a case could be made for country names to be different: most of them are so prominent that I would say they exist in most languages, even if they are identical to the native names.

For example, the German names for most European countries are different from their native names. However, Portugal happens to have the same name (well, spelling) in German and in Portugese. Would you therefore say, that Portugal doesn't have a German name?

Regards, Marc