[OSM-talk] designation vs designated

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 15 13:17:54 BST 2009

Humble apologies to everyone, I have fallen into a trap!

I have been replying to messages and referencing the wiki page for 'designated' (a value for the key 'access=')

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:access%3Ddesignated

when in every case it was my intention to refer to and reference the wiki page for 'designation' (a proposed new key that resolves many off-road mapping issues in England and Wales)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Designation

It is the latter that I use often and find very helpful and important. I never use the value 'designated' for the key access=.

My error is entirely my own and my only excuse is that I have been away for three weeks and done no editing until the last few days). However, it does perhaps highlight a problem in having a value and a key with such similar names and somewhat overlapping meanings.

Mike Harris