[OSM-talk] Cyclelane on left/right

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 14:08:06 BST 2009

2009/8/15 Jonas Häggqvist <rasher at rasher.dk>:
> Norbert Hoffmann wrote:
>> Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

>>> yes, there is a solution for cycleway=track. Map it separately and tag
>>> highway=cycleway. track can be considered "deprecated" ;-)
>>
>> But don't forget to connect the cycleway to the road wherever it is
>> possible to change from one to the other.
>
> Which it is at literally every single point in space along most Danish
> cycleways. This seems like a poor plan.

Are you referring to cycleway=lane or track? In the lane case I agree
that it is generally more suitable to map it as tag. In the track-case
you will ususally have some obstacles (e.g. kerb, green). I agree that
there is a lack in our datamodell of not beeing able to express that
two ways are connected not only on a node but on a line. This is valid
e.g. for motorway-junctions as well: they go parallel for some hundred
metres and we have to reduce this to a single node. I hope that we'll
find some way, to "combine" lanes with a relation. This would be the
starting point of beeing able to map all lanes separately and then
combine them into a single street-object. This regards also pavements
along roads and lanes at junctions.

Anyway: IMHO it is the better compromise to map the cycleway in the
track-case separately and connect it from time to time, especially on
all junctions, to the road. Otherwise you are not able to express
physical attributes like surface, width, material, restrictions
(access and maxspeed) and other to the cycleway.

Cheers,
Martin