[OSM-talk] Proliferation of path vs. footway

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:33:04 BST 2009

... but, rightly or wrongly, I do not think I am alone in using
highway=footway for all paths intended primarily for pedestrians whether
urban or rural, designated or not, designation=anything - the only real
exception I make is (mostly) in rural areas where the path is clearly
informal and of undefined status, where I would use highway=path.

I arrive at this after a very long recycle of messages earlier on in this
same discussion group and it is also consistent with
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_public_rights_of_way .

Please understand that I am not arguing a case here - merely recording what
I currently do and why I do it. Once again it would appear that there are
inconsistencies both in practice and within the different pages of the wiki.
This is not surprising but it does, understandably, give rise to confusion
and to lengthy discussions (witness the length of this thread).

How to resolve?

Mike Harris