[OSM-talk] Historic Mapping needs help Now!

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 17 22:00:38 BST 2009

Hi

I'm again working this year on mapping for the Burning Man arts festival, coming up in two weeks.
This makes urgent a growing theme in OSM, with several presentations at this year's SOTM .. how to handle historic data.

Here's the current map of Burning Man for 2009. I haven't added Camp locations yet, will come soon.
http://playaevents.burningman.com/brc/2009/map/

That map data hasn't been added to OSM.org yet, because the prior year's map is still there, and still being used. For example, Flickr...
http://radar.oreilly.com/2008/08/flickr-burning-man-open-street-map.html

Why is 2008 historic map data now? Well each year, the location of the festival moves, to minimize impact on the area. Everything is rebuilt, created again over several weeks, existing as a place for one week, and then deconstructed over several weeks. However, the impact of Burning Man is year round, and for years to come; the amount of media generated and geotagged during the event is enormous. Take a look at the photos in the Flickr map to understand why.

So I'd like to import 2009 BM into OSM now. But there's a need to retain the 2008 data. I'm opening the question up... what is the best way to mark this data as historic, keep it available as needed, but make sure it doesn't show up in core renderings?

Look forward to some good ideas.

Thanks
Mikel