[OSM-talk] Golf course rendering for OpenStreetMap (mapnik)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Tue Aug 18 01:57:10 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves<lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Monday 17 Aug 2009 11:46:20 pm Richard Weait wrote:
>> I've started a mapnik style sheet that renders golf holes with
>> fairways, greens and other goodies.  Have a look and help out if you
>> are inclined.
>>
>> http://weait.com/content/golf-course-style-openstreetmap
>
> some of us have done considerable work in this area - it is on the wiki. You
> could incorporate that instead of completely reinventing the wheel
> regards
> Kenneth Gonsalves

Dear Kenneth,

I'm sorry that you have found offense where none was intended.  I am
aware of the work on the wiki[1] and mentioned and linked the wiki in
my article as I took much of my guidance from the wiki.

Your suggestion that I've reinvented the wheel is baffling.

I've used golf=fairway/green/bunker/tee as suggested on the wiki and
discussion page[2].  I added golf=tee to the wiki as it was only on
the discussion page.

None of these are reinventing the wheel.

I marked water areas as natural=water and trees as landuse=forest as
seen in every country on OpenStreetMap, so surely you are not
suggesting that is reinventing the wheel.

I've put together an example in mapnik, the discussion page has
samples in Kosmos and osmarender.  No duplication there.

So what has put your nose out of joint?  Help me understand you.

Best regards,
Richard

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Golf_course
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Golf_course