[OSM-talk] Historic Mapping needs help Now!

simon at mungewell.org simon at mungewell.org
Tue Aug 18 14:33:55 BST 2009

>>Ideally there would
>>be a start_date and end_date tag also that defines the period when the
>>object was present.
>
> +1

So, I think that the question is related to whether you want something in
the current dataset to represent the things that were 'here' at a previous
time or have a way of entering 'new' historical data.

Taking the burning man festival example - could you add an area tagged
with snapshot date (rather than tagging individual items), which indicates
that this portion of the map requires the renderer to 'find' historical
OSM data from that date?

This would remove the need to tag a lot individual items, but does not
prevent a scheme where it would be possible to add 'new' historical data
into the OSM data with start/stop dates.

As for rendering, would this area be given a sepia tone? :-)

For someone like flickr I would imagine that they would always want to
render the historic portions, so would likely keep the 'old' snapshots of
OSM data to hand.

Cheers,
Mungewell.