[OSM-talk] [Spam] Revert a changeset

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 18:48:03 BST 2009

2009/8/18 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
> On 18 Aug 2009, at 14:57, Teemu Koskinen wrote:
>> Could somebody please revert this changeset:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/2168210
>>
>> The moving of the nodes across the Atlantic is obviously wrong.
>
> Do check out this page for guidance and the email address for requests
> to the data working group.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Vandalism
>
> Note that I have been working on this page today and have added a
> section for 'speedy response' in cases where a failure to respond
> within hours could lead to highly visible damage to the rendered maps
> or changes in sensitive areas (for example Washington - particularly
> sensitive given the support and visibility given to OSM by the
> Whitehouse).

Note that most incorrect edits spanning more than a few nodes need a
speedy response because soon people start making edits on top of the
unwanted changeset and reverting it becomes more difficult.

Since I had the setup for this ready, I reverted the changeset 2168210
in my changeset
but I had to make a couple of edits before uploading it:

* xybot had helpfully made an edit on top of some of the nodes
removing a spurious tag and causing conflicts.
* I did not revert the creation of node 469327157 (a parking) which
seems genuine.
* Something really strange: node
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/270798013/history is edited
two times inside the same changesets and revert.pl didn't deal
correctly with this.

> Personally I think we need a huge effort to be ready for damaging
> vandalism and much better tools to spot potential errors in a much
> more sophisticated way.

Agreed.

Cheers