[OSM-talk] Lane turn restrictions

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Aug 19 11:18:59 BST 2009

Steve Hill wrote:
> Is there any suggested way of marking up turn restrictions for individual
> lanes of a road to enable sat navs to provide lane guidance (e.g. "keep
> right", "move into the left lane", etc)?

There is no accepted or widely used approach to do this, and actually I
don't think it makes much sense to create a concept for this before we
have a good concept for modelling the lanes themselves.

If we decide to model lanes as individual ways or relations, these lane
turn restrictions would, of course, contain the lanes as members. If we
add the lanes as numbered tags (e.g. "right1:", "left3:"), then we
should refer to these numbers. If we do something completely different,
then the lane turn restrictions need to adapt to that.

Tobias Knerr