[OSM-talk] GSoC End: signFinder

Arlindo Pereira nighto at nighto.net
Wed Aug 19 14:29:04 BST 2009

Perhaps would be a good idea to set up a wiki page for the signs with the
colors and a sample photo?

Here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil they're a rectangle with the street name in
white on blue, and a blue on white stripe with the first and last building
numbers of the block and the street's postcode (which are not like zip
codes, they're different for every single street).

Cheers

2009/8/19 Tijs Zwinkels <openStreetMap at tumblecow.net>

> Preliminary,  but at least we can conclude that the colors are diverse, and
> that black-on-white is rather common.
>
> I hope to be able to detect and read these eventually, but I'll have to
> come up with something better than the current color-histogram matching
> technique. :)
>
> - Tijs
>

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Teemu Koskinen <teemu.koskinen at mbnet.fi>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:26:29 +0300, Erik Johansson <emj at kth.se> wrote:
>>

>>> Since this version can't be trained to handle white background signs,
>>> I wonder what color are streetname signs around the world?
>>>
>>> Netherlands white on blue
>>> Sweden black on white
>>>

>> In Finland: Black on white

Arlindo Saraiva Pereira Jr.

Bacharelando em Sistemas de Informação - UNIRIO - uniriotec.br
Consultor de Software Livre da Uniriotec Consultoria - uniriotec.com

Acadêmico: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.br
Profissional: arlindo.pereira at uniriotec.com
Geral: contato at arlindopereira.com
Tel.: +5521 92504072