[OSM-talk] GSoC End: signFinder

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Aug 19 15:39:06 BST 2009

Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> writes:

>>here, whatever the local council decides to put up
>>often reflective silverish background, black letters
>>may be black on yellow
>>may be white on blue
>>may be green on white
>
> Where's "here"?
> The UK seems to be rather variable, black on white is most common but I've
> seen white on green, white on black, and rarely, other schemes such as
> white on blue.
>
> The UK seems to be particularly heterogeneous with regards to colour and
> font compared to other countries I've visited such as Germany and the USA.
> Other countries have more tendency for a national scheme, whereas the UK
> seems to depend on the local council, and even they are inconsistent (my
> own city has about 10 to 15 different styles, some introduced within a few
> months of each other!)

In Massachusetts, US, street sign coloring can vary at each town (where
there are ~350 towns, many of which have ~ afew thousand people).  There
are a lot of white on green (my town), but the next town west has white
on red.  Plus, the town I grew up has black raised lettering on white
with a black border (think pretty wrought iron) for old signs, but I
think is replacing them with white on green.

I would think the solution is an easy way to train/teach, not a giant
database of the world, as it seems too variable in time to keep up with
at that scale.