[OSM-talk] Lane turn restrictions

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:56:51 BST 2009

2009/8/20 Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>:
> Wmm why can't we say:
>
> 1L for the leftmost lane
> 2L for the second lane from left
> 1R for the rightmost lane
>
> where left and right is seen in driving-direction. So then the 2
> rightmode lane seperates you can talk about 1R and 2R.

I'm opposing this approach of just tagging different lanes to one way
as this gets too complicated in complex situations (I know situations
with more than 18 "lanes"). I'd prefer to get to a
map-all-lanes-and-dividers-as-separate-ways-approach and then
recombine them with a relation, describing the possible changing from
one lane to the other (possible-all-time, possible but legally
prohibited, divider height=0.2m / 2m (Kerb/wall, whatever), green).
This "spacial" representation would also allow to positionate
additional objects at their actual spacial location (e.g.
traffic-lights, bollards, speed-cams, guard-rails, lower kerbs,
sculptures, trees, traffic-signs, benches, etc.)

cheers,
Martin