[OSM-talk] Business Building Conventions

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 16:00:03 BST 2009

2009/8/20 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:

> Oh, and one more thing: consider place=locality, a very useful tag.
> Clearly such nodes refer to areas, often large and substantial areas,
> yet to represent them as areas might often be very difficult as,
> depending on the nature of the feature, they don't necessarily have
> edges or firm boundaries you can map with an area, they often tend to be
> fuzzy concepts. Fordham Moor in Cambridgeshire was one such I came
> across recently (it's not a moor in the conventional sense BTW):
> http://osm.org/go/0EQ0am7Q--

I see where you're going with this (and with the church example) and I
agree up as far as you've taken it. The difference IMHO is that these
are two cases where you would draw a polygon if only you knew the
correct extent. Whereas I'm not convinced that you would want to give
each separate shop in a mall its own private landuse=retail area. I
would instead apply a single landuse=retail polygon around the entire
mall complex (including access roads and parking) and tag individual
buildings as shops and buildings. The shops, of course, _can_
(according to Map Features facism) be validly represented as nodes.

Dermot