[OSM-talk] Changes to Key:access wiki page

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 22 23:14:27 BST 2009

On 22/08/2009 20:33, Christiaan Welvaart wrote:
> hi,
>
> I changed some things on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access -
> only to document current (best) practices.
>

> Added a separate tag for cars, because AFAICT any routing app computing
> routes for cars uses this transportation mode. If routing would be done
> for 'motorcar', ways tagged as hazmat=no, for example, could not be used
> because the motorcar *could* be a hazmat vehicle. Maybe the actual tag is
> not needed, in which case the description can stay but the tag removed.

There already is a separate tag for cars: key:motorcar.
I think trying to define this as different from an "automobile" is
confusing. Have a look at Wikipedia for example, which says they are
different terms for the same thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile
I think your definition of motorcar (category: motor vehicles with more
than 2 wheels / more than 1 track) is confusing / wrong.

goods/ hgv / psv / hazmat etc should be in the hierarchy directly below
"motor vehicle", not below "motorcar".

> BTW what is a hov?

I assume it's "high occupancy vehicle", ie a vehicle with more than a
certain number of passengers in it. In some places they are allowed to
use bus lanes etc.

I'd agree with most of the rest of your changes on that page.

Craig