[OSM-talk] Changes to Key:access wiki page

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Sun Aug 23 06:12:58 BST 2009

Hi!

Christiaan Welvaart schrieb:
> I changed some things on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access -
> only to document current (best) practices.

It is a good thing that you try to complete and clarify the page.

However I must protest the way of doing it: Change the access tag page
and only start a discussion on a single mailing list afterwards is not a
good way to do this:
- some of your best practices may not be quite as universally applicable
as you think
- some of your changes require discussion - which just started. But for
everybody looking at the wiki, it appears your changes are approved
recommendations
- you are completely circumventing the proposal process, and everybody
who is interested in feature changes and is watching the proposal page
in order to be informed is simply excluded from the discussion.

So in short: Regardless of the content: You should have created your
version of the page as a seperate copy, maybe on the discussion page,
announced it as a proposal and only changed the main access tag page
_after_ some discussion and refinement.

I believe even well-meant edits that change the meaning of established
feature pages without prior discussion and bypassing everybody watching
the proposals are creating chaos and are responsible for some of the
confusion we are having about apparently simple tags like "footway". So
please, don't do it.

bye
	Nop