[OSM-talk] Changes to Key:access wiki page

Christiaan Welvaart cjw at daneel.dyndns.org
Mon Aug 24 22:33:00 BST 2009

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2009/8/22 Christiaan Welvaart <cjw at daneel.dyndns.org>:
>> hi,
>>
>> I changed some things on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access -
>
>> Added a tag for low performance mopeds, because in some countries they are
>> by law neither a bicycle nor a true moped.
>
> currently there is no more "mofa" (I guess this is not English, as it
> is an abbreviation of "Motorfahrrad" = "motor-assisted bicycle") on
> the page and no definition for moped (until which ccm it is considered
> to be such, or what else is the criteria).

I put some descriptions in the hierarchy, are those good enough? Indeed
mofa is AFAIK the german word for this vehicle class (25km/h mopeds),
I could not find a proper english word for it.

> IMHO motor_vehicle should
> not include mofa, lawn-mowers and other stuff like this. AFAIK mofas
> (below 50 ccm) are in many countries considered as bicycles, at least
> outside town. The general sign to exclude motorcars and motorcycles
> often don't exclude mofas.

If mopeds *are* considered motor vehicles it seems a bit arbitrary,
because mopeds and low performance mopeds aka mofas are very similar (at
least in the EU), even though they may be treated somewhat differently by
traffic rules. That said, I do not care much about the exact
categorization of 'mofa' as long as it is clearly defined so everyone
knows the meaning of access tags on a way. (For dutch traffic law it would
make sense to define motor_vehicle as motorcycles, cars etc. - excluding
any mopeds.)

     Christiaan