[OSM-talk] talk Digest, Vol 60, Issue 157

Martin Norbäck martin at norpan.org
Mon Aug 24 23:38:25 BST 2009

> Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 07:54:00 +1000
> From: Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop
>        in      favour of Key:stop
> To: Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk>
> Cc: OSM Talk <talk at openstreetmap.org>
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 11:25 PM, Lester Caine<lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
> That's right. There's two acceptable approaches to dealing with this:
>
> 1) use a relation to relate the way and intersection - for this, I see
> nothing wrong with
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Relation:type%3Dstop
>
> or
>
> 2) use a way and an implicit reference to a node to relate the way and
> intersection - this is what David is proposing here:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stop
>
> The "implicit reference to a node" is in the form of
> "at_first_node/at_last_node", etc.

Using a relation has some advantages:
* it connects the stop requirement to the junction node (you can look
at the junction node to see that there is a stop requirement)
* if the way leading to the junction is split/reversed, the relation
still works (although it will have two way members, so it's slightly
broken)

With the current editors, it's not hard to add relations, and a stop
relation is almost self evident how it works when viewing it, but the
tags proposed for the way needs to be looked up to be understandable.