[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 09:37:35 BST 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 6:20 PM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Roy Wallace<waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I see what you mean, but the stop sign does NOT apply to just an
> > intersection - it applies to a way(s) AND an intersection. This is
> > because the applicability of the stop sign at an intersection might
> > depend on your direction of approach.
> >

> Yes, and you add the node on the way itself, so you know on which road
> it belongs to.

You say "the node" when you mean "a node somewhere near the node".

I don't like your proposed solution. Nothing personal :) Perhaps
others would like to state their preference from the following so we
can narrow down the options?:

1) a relation with the node and the way as members, as in,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Relation:type%3Dstop)
2) the way tagged with indirect reference to the node (i.e. start or
end node of way) - as in, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stop
3) an extra node tagged, placed on the way, "near" the intersection
(Pieren's email)

I prefer 1) for a number of reasons. IMHO, 2) and 3) are more or less
attempts to mimic 1) in order to avoid using a relation.