[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Tue Aug 25 13:40:52 BST 2009

On 25/08/2009, at 10:22 PM, John Smith wrote:
> --- On Tue, 25/8/09, James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:
>> Or we could just always use a relation, so that mapping and
>> software
>> don't have to check for two different things, when editing
>> and
>> processing data respectively.
>
> Or in other words, tagging for the routing software, this
> information can be dealt with in pre-processing.

Sorry, I had a typo in that sentence - it should read "so that mappers
and software ...". As well as software, it makes it easier for mappers
who wouldn't have to check arbitrary nodes around a junction.

I completely agree that tagging for renderers/routers/whatever is a
bad idea, but I'm not certain this counts. You shouldn't tag things
incorrectly to make it render properly, or make a tagging scheme worse
to that some piece of software can avoid doing some work, but what is
wrong with the tagging scheme making it easier to process if the
scheme is otherwise just as good? Of course, whether it is just as
good is pretty much what this argument is about.