[OSM-talk] State of the NameFinder

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 14:18:27 BST 2009

Hi,

2009/8/26 Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com>:
> Anyway, so far I have heard about two efforts of getting NameFinder
> running again. First one is just performance improvement for old one
> (done by David Earl) and second one is completely new effort (by
> Twain).

I started working on a different search engine for OSM but didn't have
time to make it really work yet.  I'll try to do it in the next week
or two.  The idea is a little different from the NameFinder in various
aspects and it can search for all data in the database not only names.
 In some aspects it's dumber than NameFinder but it stresses being
usable for non-latin alphabet searches, mixed alphabets, and nice
presentation of the results.  It indexes the planet file, which is a
rather heavy task for my desktop but I think it would still be able to
cope if the size of data in OSM grew up to about 10 times.  The idea
was also for it to be very cheap computationally and so that a search
with N search terms takes exactly N reads of 1 sector from my
harddisk, so N moves of the disk's head and I've not fully achieved
this.

(this is all how it was supposed to work, not how it will end up working) :)

Cheers