[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 22:56:38 BST 2009

On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 7:31 PM, John Smith<delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Wed, 26/8/09, James Livingston <doctau at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> If we are to use the stop key, I think those
>> conditions will need to be explicitly spelt out, so that
>> you can process the data.
>
> Which is tagging for routing software, if you aren't supposed to tag for rendering software why should router software be different?

I can't see why you keep bringing up "tagging for routing software".
We need to model the world. We need to define the meaning of the tags
we use, *explicitly* (need I remind you of the path/footway/cycleway
debacle?). That's all James is saying. A *side effect* is that it is
able to be processed.

> Anything that needs to know which junction a stop sign applies to will know what junctions are what because they need to already for generating routing already.

Knowing "what junctions are what" is not the same as knowing "which
junction a stop sign applies to". I don't see why you think this
shouldn't be defined explicitly... Please let us know your definition,
if you have one.

You also seem to be saying that "routing software" should work out
*for itself* which junction the stop sign applies to. I disagree - the
mapper on the ground should be able to enter this information in the
database.