[OSM-talk] [RFC] Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 27 05:06:54 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 27/8/09, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two important differences:
> 1) The meaning of a particular way or node is separate from
> the value
> of is_in. On the other hand, the meaning of a requirement
> to stop is
> NOT separate from knowledge of the junction to which it
> applies.

I fail to see the difference, they are all distance based calculations.

> 2) ANY kind of way/node could be marked with is_in. On the
> other hand,
> marking the junction to which a requirement to stop applies
> is only
> relevant to that particular requirement to stop.

And marking all nodes, ways and relations with is_in is relevant to where in the world that node, way or relation is, it's a non-nonsensical argument that just isn't true.

Besides why should you care about needing this explicit information, if it's rendered you will see a sign, you will also see the nearest junction and your mind can put 2 and 2 together. A computer can do the exact same thing.

This is why I keep saying this is tagging for software, you are explicitly tagging for software to "know" which junction the stop sign applies to, where as just like you it can "see" a junction and it can "see" a stop sign and it will "know" that the stop sign applies to that junction.

So if we can't tag for rendering we aren't allowed to tag for routing software either.