[OSM-talk] How to tag lanes, not ways, was: Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Aug 28 09:08:29 BST 2009

John Smith wrote:
> Actually no, you can still tag stop signs on a way like people always
> have, then when lanes get sorted out they can be dealt with properly.

I believe that stop signs have usually nothing to do with lanes (though
there probably are exceptions). They apply to everyone travelling into a
certain direction, no matter on what lane. This becomes apparent in
streets where there are no distinct lanes for the two directions of
traffic: Stop signs will still apply to everyone moving towards a
junction. They will not apply to certain lanes, obviously, because there
are none.

So except for truly lane-based stop signs, I think that expressing stop
signs using lane-based methods would be a bad idea - as they are
direction based, not lane based, in reality.

Tobias Knerr