[OSM-talk] Canada Chapter

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:58:19 BST 2009

Hi,
On the talk-ca list it's still in the works (i put forward the idea, but no
Once the Canada Import is done... that'll be a BIG difference in Map
quality.  :-)

But anyway, being a local foundation might let us work closer with Natural
Resource Canada, and with Non-profits and helping them build up their own
maps that they provide to their own members.
(and perhaps meet-up.com could help spur growth...  but that's another
story)

OSGeo -Ottawa exists and OS GeoBC exists... and Austrialia / New Zealand
exists
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Aust-NZ

(I think it's John Smith thats in Australia but im not sure)?
Anyway, im watching as close as i can to whats going on down there, and
trying to understand the relationship between the OSM and OSGeo.  I think
it's the licensing issue (because industry uses Prop. Software -ArchGIS (but
it's now compatible, and can work with it).   Once OSM gets bigger (in these
next 2 years of fast growth s-curve, more industry will be looking at use
more professionally, (since we will out-map TeleAtlas & NavTeq) :-)

Anyway, i schedualed time to make that conference call.  (Hopefully by then,
we'll have more details).  I'll be on that mailing list, as soon as it's
available :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails