[OSM-talk] How to tag lanes, not ways, was: Deprecating the use of Tag:highway=stop in favour of Key:stop

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Aug 30 15:03:16 BST 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> However I think this is the most common case:
>

> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&sll=40.111982,-83.089069&sspn=0.001553,0.004506&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FY4gBwIdU7bx-A&split=0&ll=34.018261,-118.321327&spn=0,359.981976&z=17&layer=c&cbll=34.018064,-118.321328&panoid=SINsqoKL6-IG3u4muEvxfA&cbp=12,15.67,,0,9.88
>
> Main way with both side roads having only 2 lanes have a stop sign
> before the main way.

Unless I'm misreading this, anyone going from 4th Avenue onto Rodeo Drive
has to stop, and everyone going from Roxton Ave onto Rodeo Drive has to
stop.  That, in my opinion, has nothing to do with lanes.  I'm not sure why
it's so important to model in the first place (you'd have to slow way down
and just about stop whether there was a stop sign there or not), but a
relation would probably be the best solution here.  I'm not sure what the
local law is, but where I live the requirement to stop is determined by the
relation of the two roads, not the presence of the stop sign.  The stop sign
is just a reminder.

> > Would you split the way?  Is there a physical separation?  Does paint
> count?
>
> No idea, what do commercial companies do in that situation?

Whoever provided Google with their data split the way in the example I
provided, and does so in pretty much any situation where you need to be in a
particular lane in order to get where you want to go.  In my opinion paint
which disallows lane changes should be equivalent to a physical gore area as
far as mapping applications are concerned (with allowances for
approximations in micro areas and lenience when everyone is going straight
and it doesn't really matter).

The example you gave has none of that, of course, but I see no reason to
split the way.