[OSM-talk] Path in JOSM preset and motorcar=yes/designated

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 30 15:56:13 BST 2009

On 30/08/2009 08:24, Christoph Eckert wrote:
>> If a car can use it, it's a track, not a path.
>>
> I better should resist to abuse my dictatorship for tagging politics ;-) .
> Anyway, I have removed motorcar from the list of options, as tagwatch does not
> show significant use (10 times motorcar=no in Europe). If the removal triggers
> some complaints, I'll reenable it.

There seems to be something wrong with those Tagwatch stats, as Tagwatch
lists over 4000 uses of motorcar=no for highway=path for Germany. Though
I suspect many of them are set by people just because its listed in the
JOSM presets.
I would agree with its removal anyway from the prests anyway, as it just
causes confusion. Maybe it would be more useful to have the option for
motorcycle or motor_vehicle instead?

And on a related note, it would be useful to have motor_vehicle in the
presets for highway=track.
It would save having to set both motorcar and motorcycle, as both are
usually prohibited on most tracks around here.

Craig