[OSM-talk] GPS gadgets can get you jailed and fined

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 31 21:54:13 BST 2009

>Wow, such a crazyness...
>
>I tried to log a flight with my GPS-enabled cellphone (a Nokia N95), but it didn't worked after a minute.
>
>http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/workoutdetail/index.do?id=569496 (forgive the google maps background, as this GPX is useless for mapping I >didn't uploaded it to OSM)
>
>But sometimes I run into some problems using my smartphone on a plane. It happened - twice - that the cabin crew didn't allowed me to use the >phone, even after explaining it was on the airplane (offline) mode.

I managed to log a flight from France back to England, using a Garmin Legend HCX, purely out of interest. Even though it isn't a phone, doesn't look like a phone and is not capable of transmitting anything, I was careful to be discreet for the whole flight. Even if it didn't contravene any 'rules'* I was aware that other people can often draw very strange conclusions if you're doing something that they don't consider normal.

*I think they usually say something about not using electronic devices during take off and landing, but aren't specific about what. However I've never seen anyone remove the battery from their digital watch, so I guess this is something that is enforced, at most, inconsistently.

Donald