[OSM-talk] opencyclemap and car directions

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Wed Dec 2 14:42:33 GMT 2009

Ben Laenen wrote:
> Richard Mann wrote:
>> If there's no
>> lane marked (eg the zillions of oneway exceptions in Belgium that have
>> appeared in the last few years) then it probably needs to be tagged
>> oneway:bicycle=no, but that won't show up either (AFAIK).
>
> bicycle:oneway=no is used much more in Belgium (and the whole planet) -- about
> ten times more often.

Imo, this shouldn't be considered in isolation. There's a whole lot of
situations where the value for a key, such as oneway, maxspeed,
maxweight, access, is different depending on vehicle or other conditions
- a common example is maxspeed:hgv (note that nobody is using
hgv:maxspeed). And it's a bad idea to create a different solution for
each of these.

There is a concept that covers all of these and uses oneway:bicycle:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_conditions_for_access_tags

The bicycle:oneway variant, to my knowledge, hasn't been part of a
solution that can be used to express all of these cases yet and is
mostly just there as a solution for this single situation (opposite
traffic on oneway ways). Imo, that's a too limited perspective.

Tobias Knerr