[OSM-talk] [Talk-de] New OpenStreetMap iPhone Editor - Mapzen POI Collector

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:02:09 GMT 2009

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> 2009/11/27 Nick Black <nickblack1 at gmail.com>:
>> 2009/11/26 Tomáš Tichý <t.tichy at post.cz>:
>>> This is great news. Are there any plan for Android version?
>> Android is definitely a possibility for 2010.  We want to reach as
>> many existing and potentially new OpenStreetMappers as possible with
>> the Mapzen mobile tools, so platform choices will be based on that.
>>

> I almost bought IPhone because of this app, but more and more
> reviewers say that Motorola Droid (Android 2.0) beats IPhone...
>
> I would also like to see MapZen on Android, please consider it as soon
> as possible.

There are some potential alternatives for various other platforms that
might help until MapZen gets ported to each of them, which I hope it will

For android there seems to be Vespucci, for Nokia internet tablets there
is Osm2Go and owners of java phones can use GpsMid that also has a POI
collector included.

As far as I can tell, non of these alternatives are soley dedicated POI
collectors and thus might not be as user friendly as MapZen, but for the
enthusiast mapper they can potentially offer more.

For a lack of an android phone or a internet tablet, I have not tried
out either Vespucci or Osm2Go myself, so I can't say for sure if they
work and fit the bill.

Kai