[OSM-talk] Good routing vs legal routing (was: Path vsfootwayvs cycleway vs...)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 22:01:36 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:55 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:
> The same meaning of greenways (paths on public land, allowed to pedestrians and bicycles but motorized vehicles), is in use here in Nashville, TN, USA.  They are a part of the public park system, and, so far, are mostly along stream or river banks.

I don't think we call them that here (southeastern Australia) and we
also don't appear to have any "network" as such - every council just
creates their own style of bike path and connects it to whatever else
is nearby. The latest trend is to build a bike path alongside every
new freeway or freeway extension, presumably to placate the
environmental protestors. They end up with such inspiring names as
"Eastlink Trail", "Western Ring Rd Trail", "Deer Park Bypass Wellness
Trail"...

Steve