[OSM-talk] Divided roads proposal

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:37:46 GMT 2009

2009/12/3 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>

> > Are there other downsides I'm missing?
>
> I think the biggest downside is that it creates two accepted ways to
> map the same thing.  Even that, I suppose, is not a problem, if we
> make it clear that the old way, which contains more information, is
> preferable.

no, I think this is a big con: there are (and will always be) people who
change the map to different schemes, sometimes also loosing information
(e.g. on talk-de it was recently reported that people delete separately
mapped cycleways and attach cycleway=track to the road, what is loosing
information (positional and inhebitance of tagging different maxspeeds,
surfaces, widths, etc.). If the new way is containing less information,
don't set it online.

cheers,
Martin