[OSM-talk] Divided roads proposal

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:37:46 GMT 2009

2009/12/3 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>

> > Are there other downsides I'm missing?
> I think the biggest downside is that it creates two accepted ways to
> map the same thing.  Even that, I suppose, is not a problem, if we
> make it clear that the old way, which contains more information, is
> preferable.

no, I think this is a big con: there are (and will always be) people who
change the map to different schemes, sometimes also loosing information
(e.g. on talk-de it was recently reported that people delete separately
mapped cycleways and attach cycleway=track to the road, what is loosing
information (positional and inhebitance of tagging different maxspeeds,
surfaces, widths, etc.). If the new way is containing less information,
don't set it online.