[OSM-talk] Divided roads proposal

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Dec 4 16:49:55 GMT 2009

Anthony wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, I've uploaded 10 examples of median strips here:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/Divided_road#Images_for_discussion
>>
>> Hopefully we can use them to discuss whether this proposal is helpful, and
>> what alternatives there might be otherwise.
>
> 1, 2. Dual carriageway
> 3. Assuming these roads eventually divide, I'd personally use a dual
> carriageway, however, this is disputed.  Currently, this could be best
> handled with three highway areas, with the highway in the center
> marked as access=no (in jurisdictions where crossing that gore area is
> prohibited, I can't tell the jurisdiction from the photo).  In
> jurisdictions where those painted gore areas mean "use a lot of extra
> care when crossing", this could be mapped as a single way.
> 4. Looks easiest to map accurately as a highway area with several
> barrier=* areas.  Are we allowed to make highway multipolygons?  Or
> just ignore it, as it's so insignificant, and use a single way.  I
> don't see any other markings in this photo, if there are signs, I've
> ignored them because I can't see them.  I see no lane markings, so it
> fits with "area=yes, in the context of roads, indicates that the area
> has no street lines within it".
> 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. Dual carriageway

Seconded - I think in most of these cases, the connection to the other roads
dictates that they need to be split and correctly join other ways. 5 for example
would seem to be best described as a 'roundabout' as it certainly looks like it
is for turning around.

3 as actually just a wide road marking. Such cross hatch areas do need to be
covered but this a single road with 'advisory' road marking rather than a divider?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL