[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 6 00:37:28 GMT 2009

Kai Krueger schrieb:
>> Don't you see that this is a complete inappropriate way to deal with
>> an open community?
>
> No, as the previous process has always been pretty open with discussions
> on talk, legal-talk, the wiki and some of the mailing lists. How much
> more open do you want it to be with out spamming 150000 people who are
> mostly not interested in the process of the license on every little detail?

I find it completely inappropriate to ask the fellow mappers out there:

Say yes to the new license or we'll delete your data in february

This requires a very strong opinion against the license to build the
believe: "I don't want the new license, so I'm willing to loose the last
years of my work with OSM".

You may be right that the "no sayers" have more "weight" in the process,
but becoming a "no sayer" requires a very strong believe as you
potentially loose all your previous work.

What I would have expected would be a simple web poll with a few options
to get a first idea what the mappers out there really want.

Regards, ULFL