[OSM-talk] [Announce] OSMF license change vote has started

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Dec 6 04:36:19 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>wrote:

> Creative Commons, of course, has practising copyright lawyers too. They
> have
> said that CC-BY-SA isn't applicable to data and we shouldn't use it.

They also said this about the ODbL:

"In brief, we believe that the ODbL is incompatible with the goals we have
articulated in the Science Commons Protocol for Implementing Open Access
Data, that it creates barriers that can impede the free and open exchange
and reuse of data and databases, that it may create unintended consequences
for both data providers and users, and that it does not well serve the
essential purposes of public data sharing, particularly in education and
science."
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ODbL_comments_from_Creative_Commons